Weaviate is a remote-first tech start-up that thinks big and has a vector-based database at the forefront of database technology. It uses AI and machine learning to organize and search data in a completely new way. Weaviate is a vector database that enables companies to create meaningful insights from their unstructured data. With over 1.6 million downloads, Weaviate continues to grow in popularity.
Weaviate is a remote-first company. Our entire team works remotely across the globe because we believe in the freedom and flexibility to work from anywhere and at any time. Our people experience this as a massive benefit! Therefore we feel at ease with working independently, being proactive, and taking ownership of our work.
About the role
We are looking for a talented and motivated Software Engineer with expertise in distributed & cloud computing to join Weaviate Core, working on a cutting-edge vector search database.
Together with your team, it is your responsibility to make sure that Weaviate performs well in modern day cloud-based production environments. This involves implementing algorithms for sharding, replication, observability, and dynamic scaling of the Weaviate DB. You are passionate about architecting a cloud setup that follows business needs by decoupling storage and compute and making sure that Weaviate can scale dynamically and seamlessly to the needs of our users. To achieve this, you collaborate closely with the Cloud Services team - this team offers commercial SaaS.
What your responsibilities will be:
- Design, develop and maintain distributed systems and cloud-based infrastructure for Weaviate.
- Collaborate with across teams and with other engineers to build features and improve system performance.
- Develop efficient and scalable algorithms for processing and analyzing large datasets.
- Write clean, well-designed and maintainable code that is testable and documented.
- Troubleshoot and debug complex distributed systems issues.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest technologies and trends in distributed systems and cloud computing.
What we are looking for
- You have either worked as part of a DB-aaS team or an internet-scale database team, or are familiar with the challenges of building stateful setups that scale with ease.
- Strong proficiency in the Go programming language.
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure and services such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform.
- Familiarity with distributed databases such as Cassandra, or similar.
- Excellent knowledge of distributed systems concepts, such as sharding, replication, consistency, fault-tolerance, etc.
- Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- You are aligned with our company values.
What we offer
- 100% remote with flexible work hours.
- Competitive compensation, including paid time off.
- Budget available to spend on going to conferences, co-working space, home office equipment, etc.
- Work with very experienced and fun team members.
- An atmosphere that encourages learning and personal growth, and that gives you lots of freedom, flexibility, and responsibilities.
- You will work at the forefront of search, ML/AI, and cloud-native technologies - and all of it is open source.
- A challenging and dynamic work environment on the Weaviate core team, where you can make a significant impact.
Note: If you are interested in Weaviate and this role, you can apply via the ‘apply now!’ button below. All of our communication will be done in response to your application. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to our Head of People & Culture - and not to one of our colleagues (via LinkedIn). In this way we ensure that our people can focus on doing their best work.